Sunday 8 June 2014

Books, sunshine and flowers...Summer.

Today we have been to Nymans and what a beautiful morning. Looking up ...


The sky was so blue you could be mistaken we were in England. Take a look at this tree below. It is called a Trachycarpus Fortunei and looks like one of those palm tree umbrellas I imagine on the beaches of the Caribbean. The trunk was almost furry but I expect if it was touched it would be spiky. A very unusual sight and one we had not noticed before. That's the beauty of these gardens here; they evolve.

The rock garden area has come on well since our visit earlier in the spring but the show-stopper as ever had to be the rose garden. In full bloom and inviting; I could sit there for hours in my imagination. So many species it is somewhat intoxicating. 



Another bonus today - two bookshops. The Potting Shed had been set aside today for donations for their bargain books, whilst the other little bookshop sells with a more eclectic collection of second hand books . We found a great little local history book and I got a great novel for a pound. There are even collectable editions there now. Take a look at their website page at http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/nymans/eating-and-shopping/
The gift shop has some lovely ideas - I got a few bits including two stones; one for me, one for my daughter. I chose 'Hope' and she chose 'Happy'. The stone attracted me by it's coolness and calming aura on such a hot day. I love it and it was a bargain for only two pounds. It's amazing what you can find at these places. Whatever you do if you visit - you must eat cake! I can highly recommend their scones, lemon drizzle and carrot cupcakes. 

I will post some more rose pictures later once I have decided which ones - so many to choose from. Sending more sunny days...


No comments:

Post a Comment