Tuesday 1 April 2014

Bumble Bees Take Over the Tree

Our back garden has a tree. I don't know what type it is but it loves wildlife; or should I say birds and bees.We have loads of wrens nesting in our hedge at the moment, blue tits as well (some are in our roof too by the sounds of it!)

We did the RSPB birdwatching survey http://rspb.org.uk/  again this year and on that day we had hardly any birds (apart from pigeons in the back oak tree fighting for pole position as usual). I think blue tits are so cute. The way they dart around and pick at the branches of the tree; as I watch out of the kitchen window whilst washing up. Birdsong and Spring mornings are beautiful.



Anyhow, the reason I am blogging this one is that bumble bees are taking over the tree. I went out last night to get some washing in and there was such a droning buzz coming from the tree above; I couldn't believe it. I was expecting to find a wasp nest or something but no: just bumbles taking pollen in great delight from our tree. The tree is in bud and will soon leave annoying fluffy clumps all over the grass. I would love to know what type of tree it is. One branch is still hanging after the storms; yet to be pulled down. The pigeons love playing on it. It looks like they are on a see-saw when they land and it goes down. It provides shelter I guess. It is in bud too even though it is only just attached; like a wobbly tooth begging to be pulled.

I think bees are on the increase this year which can only be a very positive thing for the environment. Maybe we will have a bumper crop of honey this year... All good. X

If anyone knows what type of tree this is; would be most grateful...?

Note added May 2014 by author
The tree is a Crack Willow apparently and the branch has now been removed. The pigeons seem a little sad to have lost their sea-saw and since the tree also got a hair-cut; the sparrows are rather bemused...



No comments:

Post a Comment